Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

What's so Great About Outdoor Hockey Games?

by Jes

It appears that having outdoor hockey games is the big trend these days, and now the Flyers want to jump on that bandwagon with an annual outdoor game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at "Beaver Stadium" (insert Beavis laughter here)

Quite honestly, if I had the chance to go to one of these things, I highly doubt I would. It just doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun to watch hockey in sub-zero temperatures, surrounded by a bunch of drunk, immature twits.

1. I HATE the cold! This is the primary reason why I live in Vancouver (it's milder compared to the rest of Canada) and why I sleep with 6 different blankets and the heat turned up full blast. I don't want to stand outside in cold weather for 10 minutes, much less up to 3 hours. Why anyone would subject themselves to this form of torture is beyond me. I'll watch from my comfy and warm couch, thanks.

2. The games are sloooooooooooooooooow. Remember the big Heritage Classic between the Oilers and Habs? The action was too slow even for Jacques Lemaire to love, and the players were obviously having some trouble adjusting to the insane cold. For a variety of reasons, the players aren't going to be as fluid and comfortable as they normally are, and it leads to action that is less than thrilling. It was more for the spectacle, that people watched, rather than the on-ice action.

3. By the slim chance I ever got a seat, you can imagine that it would be so far away from the action that even one of NASA's best telescopes couldn't allow me to see what is going on. Hockey was not meant for football stadiums, and most of the people there won't be able to get a great view. If you are going to stand out in the freezing cold, at least make it worthwhile.

So, I ask, what's the big deal?

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Its the whole lure of the "good old days" where men were men who skated outside, risked falling through the ice, got hypothermia and got their womens to bring them beer after the game. :p
 
I live in Buffalo and actually agree with you. I'll be watching from the comfort of my own home. Still, this is an excellent PR move by the NHL pitting two popular and highly marketable teams against eac other for the nation to watch in the form of a truly rare event. How many times in the Bettman era can we say that the NHL has done something this positive for the league? I think the positives and long term ripple effect outweighs any negatives on a personal level that guys like you and me might have.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?